Rise & Shine, Mrs. Sunbeam!

>> Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I may be a grown woman in her 40s, (just barely), but still these old kids' tunes pop into my head.

"This is the day,
That the Lord has made,
I will rejoice,
And be glad in Him."

And

"Rise and shine,
And give God the glory, glory."

How bout

"This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine."

Back then, being a Christian meant telling my friends I love Jesus, reading my Bible, praying, going to church and inviting others with me. It meant not saying bad words or being mean to other kids. It was about obeying my mom and my teachers. That was my job, and I was to do it joyfully, giving God the glory along the way.

And all these years later, I want to do all my jobs in the same way, being led in freedom by the Holy Spirit in me. Yes, I'm a writer and a speaker, a neighbor, a mentor & a friend. But I long for the desire to shine at home, as mom and wife, giving God the glory as I do.

If I could genuinely approach each task in my day, even the boring or unfavorable ones, with that kind of attitude, how different my home would be—-how different my faith would be!

A song that I used to teach to my preschool kids’ choir years ago was never my favorite in tune, but I've always loved the lyrics.

"Jesus wants me for a sunbeam,

To shine for Him each day;

In every way try to please Him,

At home, at school, at play.

Refrain:

A sunbeam, a sunbeam,

Jesus wants me for a sunbeam;

A sunbeam, a sunbeam,

I’ll be a sunbeam for Him."


It doesn't matter if I'm 5 or 50 plus plus—Jesus wants me to shine for Him. So I’ll level with you...the sun hasn't been beamin’ so brightly lately in one area of my job at home for years now...


One word: Completion.


Don’t mind cooking, but I hate the cleaning up. I’ll wash your clothes, I’ll dry your clothes…I’ll even fold ‘em, but do I have to put ‘em away? I’ll buy the groceries, but it sure is tough to move it from countertop to cabinet. Oh, and the receipt for those groceries? Do I really have to tell you they’re stuffed in a wad in my purse?

This is getting way too personal…it goes on and on, though, throughout each room in the house. It is even the case when I try to start a new routine with the kids.

But how is the Lord continuing to morph my outlook regarding these tasks?

One thought at a time.
One Scripture at a time.
One bit of advice at a time.
One call to the Lord at a time.

As the Lord transforms me in my weaknesses, His strength clearly shines through.
Judges 5:31b
“But may they who love you be like the sun,
when it rises in its strength."
And when He beams through me, breaking through my humanness, it brings light to the whole family. It gives them hope. It gives them a standard. It gives them an example to follow. Simply put, everyone's feelin' the love.

So finishing what I start may seem pointless when I’m muddling through the everyday stuff, but really, it is just the opposite. It reaps eternal consequences. Can you imagine if Jesus hadn't completed the work the Father gave Him to do?

No, putting my laundry away will not save a dying world from their sins, that's a fact. But it will demonstrate the Lord’s character in a way I’ve been chosen to do so—with the work He’s given me to do.

2 Corinthians 8:11 says,
"Now finish the work, so that your eager willingness to do it may be matched by your completion..."
The author probably didn't have household tasks in mind with that verse, but I think it fits since the work I do at home is part of my job and my example to others.

I read this in my Bible a few days ago, and it set my mind thinking and praying about this area of my life again:

     "She sets about her work vigorously..." Proverbs 31:17

AND then the clincher. While I do it, how about that attitude?
Colossians 3:17:
"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed,
do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
That's serious stuff. Do it in the name of Jesus. If I'm going to do something, I'd love to have His name all over it. Not mine.

So, even though I'm improving little by little, I'll repeat and sing the rest of the song to keep me going strong:

"I will ask Jesus to help me

To keep my heart from sin;

Ever reflecting His goodness,

And always shine for Him.

Refrain:

A sunbeam, a sunbeam,

Jesus wants me for a sunbeam;

A sunbeam, a sunbeam,

I’ll be a sunbeam for Him."



Thank You Lord, for finishing the work You were given to do, and the love You showed when You did so. May I never see the everyday as ordinary in light of this extraordinary sacrifice of Yours. Remind me, Lord, that I should have Your very attitude in all that I do, and that you will light the fire of completion under my hands and feet as I submit myself to Your will. Reflect Your goodness and strength through me, Lord, as I work on each task you put in my day. In Jesus' name, Amen.


Reference: I'll Be a Sunbeam
Nellie Talbot
Copyright: Public Domain

6 comments:

Yvonne Blake June 1, 2010 at 5:10 PM  

Now you've got me singing it too!

"A sunbeam, a sunbeam!
Jesus wants me for a sunbeam!"

Thanks, Lalee...and I'll be praying that He will work through you to accomplish this new commitment.

Maria,  June 2, 2010 at 4:00 AM  

I'm a sunbeam!!! Thank you for your words of wisdom. The past few days my heart has been heavy. I'm pursuing my PhD and the past couple of days have been challenging. The enemy has whispered words like "incompetent, you can't do it" into my ears. But the voice of my Lord has spoken a fresh word of encouragement to me through you. Thanks for the Scriptures! I have written them on index cards, highlighted in my bible and I will meditate on them and bring them out every time the enemy speaks words of discouragement. I must finish the work as 2 Cor 8:11 states. Thank you!!! You are such a light of inspiration!

Laury June 2, 2010 at 10:13 AM  

Good words, as always, Laura. I'm an awesome starter but I stink getting to the finish line. We'll keep prodding the other forward until we win the race, yes? I'm so thankful that God is so very patient.

Joanne Sher June 2, 2010 at 11:32 AM  

Oh yeah. I NEED to do that. Thanks for the reminder (she says as she is reading blogs instead of mopping her floor!)

Mari June 2, 2010 at 10:49 PM  

Oh hun...you just showed me yet another way we are alike. I have ninetypercentitis. It's chronic and apparently contagious and frequently shows up in writers and speakers.

*sigh*

Post a Comment

I'd love to know how you see it!

Blog Design by:

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP