About My Latest Speaking Event. Come See My Outfit!

>> Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Seriously, I wouldn't be so shallow as to have you come and look at my outfit. Sort of. For years, I would do drama roles, sing solos, perform. Each one required some sort of costume or particular type of dress, etc. The Lord has taken all of that background and the way He has wired me to put that into a talk entitled "Ladies, What's in Your Closet?" And believe me when I tell you, the mask has had to come off.

I'm learning slowly that it is not about being up front or receiving applause or gain (not that it ever shoulda been before). It's not about how well I rehearse lines, and it's definitely not about being in character.

It's about being small, getting out of the way and letting Him speak through me. It's about believing Him faithful. It's about wearing Jesus. It's about sharing the story He's given me, one full of comedy, tragedy, baggage and dirty laundry, yet all the while covered by and filled with hope, faith, love and Truth...Life with a capital "L."

"...putting on faith and love as a breastplate,
and the hope of salvation as a helmet." 

1st Thessalonians 5:8

all for His purpose:
"...to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the LORD for the display of His splendor."

Isaiah 61:3

The ladies at North Park Baptist Church in Sherman, Texas, allowed God to do this work as they welcomed my prayer partner Margie and me, fed us the yummiest food I've had in years, and made us feel completely at home Monday night. Another reason I felt so at home was because the church and people reminded me so much of the church I grew up in. As I spoke, I saw hunger for the Word of God in their eyes, as well affirmation of His message. I even heard a few "Amens." They overwhelmed me with a generous love offering after I spoke as well. I'm so thankful to their coordinator, Janice, inviting me and taking a chance on this writer/performer turned newbie speaker. I had a blast and learned so much in the process.

These precious mothers and daughters had no idea that the few weeks before the event, I was coming apart at the seams. Little did I know, He was preparing me to be able to speak authentically about the message He'd been weaving together thread by thread for many weeks preceding. The Lord knew I needed to go there stripped of my own capability, confidence and resources, and clothed with His presence alone instead.

So I did. And honestly, I have no idea what He did in others, but I know for sure, He did some major work in me. He'd been teaching me for years as a performer to become smaller, and He's carrying on that same pattern no matter what role I'm in...He is good.

"In His great power, God becomes like clothing to me;
He binds me like the neck of my garment."

Job 30:18

"I delight greatly in the LORD; my soul rejoices in my God.
For He has clothed me with garments of salvation
and arrayed me with a robe of righteousness..."

Isaiah 61:10a

Thank You, Papa, for making me small, and giving me the will and freedom to wear You big 'n tall--at this event, the next one (if you will it), and every moment in-between.

11 comments:

Mari May 26, 2010 at 10:37 AM  

I can totally relate. And in that "messy" state of being, we then completely submit our will to His and allow Him to speak through us. Hence He receives all the glory and we humbly crawl back to the safety of our own homes awaiting the next opportinuty He puts in our path to submit so that others may be blessed.

the life of an ordinary woman stepping out in faith as a mouthpiece for Him.

LauraLee Shaw May 26, 2010 at 11:17 AM  

haha, Dana. No, I purposefully didn't take pictures so that I can wear the same outfit again. I'm pretty frugile that way. ;)

LauraLee Shaw May 26, 2010 at 11:17 AM  

Yes, Mari, as you've said so eloquently before, "His beautiful messes." :D

Anonymous,  May 26, 2010 at 12:42 PM  

This is so beautifully written. And all of your advise is correct and those verses go along so well. You know sometimes I just can't seem to get a verse (or blog header:P) that will fit but you always do! I love you.

~Brooklyn :P

Anonymous,  May 26, 2010 at 12:44 PM  

Oopsie poopsie :D! I spelled advice like advise. lol

sark123 May 26, 2010 at 1:40 PM  

"oopsie poopsie!" Ha-ha-ha-ha. LOL, indeed!!!

aNyWaYsSsSsSsS, back to the point!
I loved that wonderful writing, Laura! Beautiful!!!

Sunny Shell May 26, 2010 at 2:47 PM  

Hey precious sis,

Haven't been around in bloggland in a while and was so refreshed to stop by here and "visit" with ya girl!

Ahhhh....and what refreshment it was! ♥ Ahhhh...delight in God. Ahhhh...bask in His goodness. Ahhh...rejoice in His mercy and grace. Ahhh....robed in Christ's righteousness. Ahhh....loving Jesus, more than the applause, more than the fellowship...more than anything and anyone...ahhhh....rejoicing and praising our Savior with you sista! ♥

Love, love, love you!
Sunny

Laury May 26, 2010 at 3:05 PM  

Wished I could have been there. Please speak in Central Illinois sometime, okay?

Karen Hossink May 26, 2010 at 4:58 PM  

This is fantastic!

May we always 'wear Him well'!

Patty Wysong May 29, 2010 at 9:36 AM  

It was so good to hear about this, La. Only God could orchestrate so many details so beautifully. I wish I could've been there to hear it.
Hugs!

Bob West May 31, 2010 at 5:33 PM  

I hope you enjoy my blog as much as I have yours. Great insights! I am now a follower.
God Bless, Bob West
http://westbob.blogspot.com/2010/05/god-vs-science.html

Post a Comment

I'd love to know how you see it!

Blog Design by:

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP